Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Housesitting a 2 yr old female labradoodle. Not eating

Customer Question

Housesitting a 2 yr old female labradoodle.
Not eating unless hand fed a few kibbles at a time. Nose slightly wet, ran around outside for 10 minutes about an hour ago.
Gums are pink. What else can i look for?
Owner had been giving 2 cups kibble and then same amount water into the same bowl of kibble. She didnt eat for the owner so i suggested only dry kibble which then she ate the dry for the previous Saturday thru to this morning.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. I see you are off line so I will tell you what to look for to know if you have a sick dog. Take the dogs temperature rectally, normal is between 100.5 and 102.5. Check the capillary refill time buy pressing and releasing a finger on the gums, the area blanches white, notice how long it takes to go back to pink. One second is good, two or more seconds is not. If that is fine you likely are dealing with a dog that might be shy when parents go away. Some will not eat for two days.

If there is no vomiting or diarrhea and the vital signs are normal then I would say it will take time for the dog to settle in being away from the family.