Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My German shepherd greyhound mix got stung by yellow

Customer Question

My German shepherd greyhound mix got stung by yellow jackets. Her foot and one side of her face are swollen. Her gums are red. She is smacking her mouth, from the swelling I assume. I put baking soda paste on her foot pads. I gave her 1/3 of a 25 mg Benadryl
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with her. The dose of Benadryl is 1-2 mg/lb (maximum dose of 50 mg at any one time) repeated in 8-12 hours if necessary. If you happen to have prednisone at home, you'll see a faster and more effective reduction in swelling. You can give administer 0.25 mg/lb of prednisone and repeat it in 12 hours. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.