Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident
95200773

I have a 5 yr old rottweiler with stage 3 mast cell cancer

Customer Question

I have a 5 yr old rottweiler with stage 3 mast cell cancer tumor was on middle pad of front left paw. when removed it got no clear margins. we did one round of oral chemo (palladia) 15 doses M W F for 5 weeks .. the cancer metastasis to the lymph node in front of the left shoulder. she is on benadryl 4 tabs. twice a day and 2 tabs of pepcid AC....I'm wondering if any homeopathic remedy might help her. Her blood work is still good.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 10 months ago.

Hi there, I see that no one has answered your question and I wanted to let you know about the research I found. In looking at articles published in the Journal of Holistic Veterinary Medical Association I have come across suggestion that Chinese herbs such as Angelica sinensis (alone or in combination with Astragalus membranaceous); phytotherapy with Ganoderma plus Xue fu Zhu yu Tang formula and acupuncture can be helpful in improving the quality of life of patients with mast cell tumors.

In a study of 6 dogs with grade 2 MCT, survival times were between 7 months and 5 years. These are case reports, though and this was not a placebo controlled study so no hard and fast conclusions can be drawn but these treatments seemed to help and there was no evidence that they were harmful. Granted these dogs has stage 2 MCT and your dog has stage 3 MCT but there is not a lot of information on specific therapies as the patient numbers necessary for applicable studies are lacking.

You may be able to find a veterinarian in your area experienced in holistic medicine or have your regular veterinarian order you some of these supplements. Veterinarians that perform rehabilitation should be able to perform acupuncture as this is a commonly employed pain control method.

Is this information helpful?