Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident

My cat has a soft painless tumor on the right side of her

Customer Question

My cat has a soft painless tumor on the right side of her spine. It's approx. 1.5 to 2 inches away from her spine and is less than 1 inch in length and less than .5 inches in width. It may be a fatty tumor. Is there any way I can know without stressing her by taking her to the doctor?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry to say but the only way to tell the cause of a tumor is to sample it (either with a needle or by cutting into it) or to remove it and submit it for histopathology. We need to see the cells that are present before we can make a determination about the cause and if it needs to be removed or addressed in any other way.

Fatty tumors are not very common in cats, they are much more common in dogs so I think that the benefit to your cat of having it checked out by a vet far outweighs the stress of a veterinary visit.

In this case, the best recommendation I could make is to have your cat examined by a veterinarian and have the mass sampled. Given its small size, it would be much easier to remove now as opposed to later when it is bigger.

Have I been able to address your concerns today?

Hi there,

I that you have not yet responded to my last message or accepted the answer I gave. If you have further questions and want to discuss your pet’s condition in more detail please feel free to let me know.

If I have been able to answer your question satisfactorily, I would appreciate a positive rating so the website knows that I have been helpful as this is the only way I can be compensated for my time. If you have additional questions, concerns or need more clarification, please feel free to ask me.

All the Best,

Dr. Ellie

Hi Sarah Doran,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Zoe. How is everything going?

Dr. Ellie