Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident

My dog has grown tumor on lower jaw – need info

Customer Question

I've just received a path report on a growth on my 7yr old dog's lower jaw. It was mostly RBCs and some WBCs, and a few cells that are consistent with either basal cell tumor or ductal tumor. The growth went from 0.5cm to 2 cm in 2.5 months. I'm trying to get a feel for the cost of surgery.
He is otherwise a very healthy dog, except he was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 6 months ago and doing well of thyroxin.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about your dog's diagnosis. Depending on where the growth is, it sounds likely that your dog will need a surgical procedure called a hemimandiblectomy. This means that half the mandible is removed in order to make sure that enough tissue is removed to get the entire tumor. The cost of this surgery can vary from area to area and the best person to give you an accurate estimate is the surgeon who will be performing the procedure. In general, you can expect to may anywhere from 3 to 5 thousand dollars for the procedure, anesthesia, after care and medications to go home.

Another option that you may consider is stereotactic radio surgery. This requires a special CT machine to plan the procedure and a facility that has a linear accelerator. There are a few places in the United States that have this capability and the cost is generally more than the cost of surgery but is less potentially less disfiguring than surgery. If you choose to go with the radiation route, your veterinarian can refer you to a specialty hospital that has a the proper equipment to perform this procedure.