Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

Dog ate my iron supplement pill. Is that a problem?

Customer Question

I am pet sitting for 2 small dogs. I dropped my daily iron supplement pill on the floor and one of the dogs ate it. Should I be concerned? (it is a 65 mg pill)
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 months ago.

How much does the dog weight that ate this pill. Was it just a single pill that had 65 mg of iron in it? No other supplements to it?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I guess about 20 lbs. Yes, a single pill.
No, no other supplements.

What specifically was the type of iron in the supplement? Was it ferrous fumerate?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it is ferrous fumerate.

Ok. Ferrous fumerate is only about 33% elemental iron. So that 65 mg tablet has about 21 mg of elemental iron in it. A 20# ***** is basically 9 kg. So that 21 / 9 gives a dose of 2.38 mg / kg. This isn't something that should cause a toxicity situation. It could cause some GI upset in some that are very sensitive. Iron if in a large enough dose initially will cause vomiting. At the dose that this one got, it shouldn't be an issue.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I just found the Pill! False Alarm

That is the best case scenario to find the pill! I should have thrown that out there to screen for the pill under chairs / the couch / etc... I get those cases at my ER where something is "thought" to be eaten when it really wasn't. So for future reference, one pill eaten shouldn't have been a big deal at all.