Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

I received a 4-week old pitbull puppy from a girl I know.

Customer Question

I received a 4-week old pitbull puppy from a girl I know. She is now 6 weeks old (eating a mixture of solid and soft CANIDAE) and I noticed that when she poops now, she has a drop or two of blood in between and ends of her poop. She is very energetic, loves to play, and eat. But it worries me that she might have parvo. I sleep in the living room with her on occasions now as well because I started noticing that she would eat her poop if she went at night, is that normal? I know that it is bad to have a puppy that young but I had no idea until I started reading about having puppies that young. I can't help but feel guilty, and now I'm kind of lost on what to do.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now in regards ***** ***** question, I want to note that seeing drops of fresh blood at the end of a bowel movement is not characteristic of Parvo. That virus tends to cause severe blood loss in profuse diarrhea along with vomiting. Instead, spots of blood like this is more suggestive of inflammation of the lower bowel which can be caused by colitis (bacterial or inflammatory), worms, or protozoa.

In this case, you may need to change her to a lighter diet option that may be easier on her stomach. It would also be of benefit to worm her (Fenbendazole/Panacur is a good option given her age and since it does cover against some protozoa as well) and consider adding an OTC canine probiotic (ie Fortiflora, Fast Balance) to her food And if her stools are very runny, you can add fiber (ie canned pumpkin or all bran) to her diet.

Overall, her eating stool isn’t abnormal at her age, though it is a habit you will need to try to break for her (ie using OTC treatments or pineapple juice to make her stool less palatable). But for the moment we’d want to use the above to see if we can soothe her gut and stop this for her. Of course, if it lingers a check up and stool test from her vet would be best to pinpoint which issue is present and nip this in the bud for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.
Hi Eddie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?