Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My 38 pound beagle ate a box of Heartgard - 6 total.. 12, No

Customer Question

My 38 pound beagle ate a box of Heartgard - 6 total.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the beagle will be able to digest that. What is the beagle's name and age?
Customer: Cooper. 12
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cooper?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 months ago.

Hi. Welcome. My name is***** it the 26 - 50 pound dosing Heartguard? Does he have any health issues or on any other medications?

Heartguard has ivermectin and pyrantel pamoate in it. For the tablets in the 26-50# ***** they have 136 mcg of ivermectin and 114 mg of pyrantel pamoate. Eating of 6 of these tablets wouldn't be a toxic situation by any means for a dog 38# ***** is a beagle. When ivermectin is used at a heart worm preventative dose, it is 10 times less than what is initially used for treatment of demodectic mange. The dose for heart worm prevention is 0.006 mg / kg per month. When it is being used to treat demodex, it is initially started at 0.05 mg / kg per day and then progressively increased over the next week or so up to 0.6 mg / kg in cases where there is no ivermectin sensitivity. So for Cooper to eat 6 Heartguard tablets, there isn't a concern of toxicity and no treatment is needed. The next dose of it for heart worm prevention needs to be given in one month. The "extra" at this time doesn't increase the time frame of needing the next dose.