Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident
95200773

My 9 yr old yellow lab has been panting and pacing most of

Customer Question

My 9 yr old yellow lab has been panting and pacing most of the day and won't lay down. For a period of time this afternoon he crawled under the porch and wouldn't come out and actually looked like he couldn't but we finally coaxed him out. The last 3 hours he will just stand and pant. I did walk him out and he both utinated and defecated and the stool looked fine. and he will drink water from the hose outside but not from his bowl.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Chato
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chato?
Customer: He ingested some candy from a piñata on Friday night, but are well on Saturday. He is normally energetic and a little puppy like for a nine yr old
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 4 months ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Chato is acting so strangely. Panting and pacing can often indicate pain, so I would wonder if he is painful in some way. Intestinal pain is most common, but it sounds like his bowels are normal. Is he having any vomiting, dry heaving or drooling? Does his belly feel hard or does he wince when you press on it? Does he eat stuff that he isn't supposed to (like foreign objects, such as socks, rocks, plastic, etc)? Did he eat dinner this evening? Any chance of injury?

Please let me know the answers to these questions so that we can determine what is going on with Chato.

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda

It appears that you are not on-line to talk about Chato tonight. I am going to opt out to see if another expert can help you later.

Good luck!

Dr. A

Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 4 months ago.

HI there, I read about your dog and I would like to help you and him. If you can answer the questions above, that would be helpful. However, it also may be that he is painful. The fact that he will not drink out of his bowl makes me think that he may have neck or back pain. You can test this by trying to make him move his head back and forth and up and down by waving a treat in front of him. Move it up and down and side to side. A dog that has neck pain will follow it with their eyes but be reluctant to move their head. When a dog has neck or back pain, he will be reluctant to lay down or get up once he is down. It may be why he had difficulty getting out from under the porch. If he does seem painful, I recommend an evaluation by your veterinarian as there are several things that can cause neck and spinal pain as well as the fact that your vet can prescribe medications to help keep him comfortable. I usually use a combination of gabepentin, trammel and sometimes a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory.

While you are waiting for your appointment, I recommend elevating his food and water so that he doesn't have to bend over to eat and drink. This will make it easier for him until the pain can be treated.

I would love to provide further assistance if you need it. Please feel free to respond at your convenience, I will be online on and off through out the day today and will check in to look for a response from you.

Best Wishes,

Dr. Ellie