Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog ingested blu-kote by licking a wound sprayed with it.

Customer Question

My dog ingested blu-kote by licking a wound sprayed with it. Now lethargic and no appetite. She will drink but not eat. She is a 5 year old drahthaar and is in hunting shape. Wondering what to give her to counter the blu-kote
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Una
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Una?
Customer: Not that I know
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

According to the MSDS sheets on the Blu-Kote products, the only active ingredient in them is isopropyl alcohol which in small amounts is an irritant to the GI tract. When ingested in large amounts it can cause central nervous system depression. There's no specific antidote. We attempt to dilute the alcohol with favored liquids such as milk, cream, broths, and bouillons but this must be done immediately after ingestion because alcohols are rapidly and completely absorbed from the GI tract within 30 minutes to 2 hours. Administering an over the counter antacid such as famotidine (Pepcid) at a dose of 0.25 mg/lb now and again in 12 hours should afford Una some comfort. The tincture of time should normalize her within 36 hours.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Hi Bennie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?