Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Our dog licked or at some of the contents of a rescue fly

Customer Question

our dog licked or at some of the contents of a rescue fly trap - it's says it's non-toxic but should i be concerned
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the dog ate?
Customer: i didn't see how much - i do have the package - he came in smelling like it
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: no
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.

Can you tell me the active ingredient in that trap, please? It's very unlikely that there would be enough of any insecticide to intoxicate a dog but I can be more accurate once I know what was in the trap.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sucralose 42%
Putrescent whole egg solids 18%
Yeast 5.5%
Trimethylamine 2.8%
Indole .2
Other ingredients 31.4%
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Says it is a non toxic mode of action

Yes, that's true. Sucralose is a safe sugar substitute I use in my cereal in the morning. Egg is egg although putrescent means "rotten". Ugh. Yeast is in our rising bread. Trimethamine is a safe stinky chemnical used as a fly attractant; indole is another safe and stinky (feces) chemical used as a fly attractant. He might expereince minor and transient GI distress from licking that disgusting combination but he wasn't intoxicated. Don't kiss him for a while.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks. So no concern other than the smell?

Minor tummy upset is possible but it's more likely that you won't see any adverse effect of his dietary inidscretion at all. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks.

You're welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?