PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

My 14 1/2 year old cocker spaniel has been going down

Customer Question

Hello! My 14 1/2 year old cocker spaniel has been going down hill rapidly the last 4 months. He's lost his hearing and now his vision to cataracts. The other day he began not being able to walk, his right rear leg seems not to be working and he is very frail. Then a couple days ago he started having very runny diarrhea. I want to give him imodium for the diarrhea. I can't get in to see the his vet until Wednesday and have been waiting for an appointment. I love him very much (not the vet), and I don't want him to be suffering. He just seems to be breaking down all over. His appetite is still good. And he drinks water, but I think he is really suffering. What about his legs? He was diagnosed a while back with nerve damage to his rear legs. But he never had an accident or was never harmed in any way. What do you think?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wounds
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Jake
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jake?
Customer: Not that I can think of, he 's always been healthy and always with me.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I hope I get this, I messed up on the password. Jake has always been healthy but I worry because he can't see or hear, and this makes everything worse. I know you can't advise regarding end of life decisions, but he my buddy and I don's want him to suffer.
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today.

I'm so sorry to hear that Jake is not feeling well. You can find the imodium dosage here:

I would also recommend switching him to a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice for a few days to see if this helps to firm his stool. If not, it would be ideal to have him examined and your vet to prescribe medications to help clear the symptoms faster.

The weakness in his legs can be due to lots of things including arthritis, weakness due to illness like diabetes, the nerve issue that you have mentioned, etc. A physical exam may give a veterinarian a chance to give you a more definitive answer. As well, if they feel that he is suffering they will inform you so that you can make the right decision on when it's best to let him go.

Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: