Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

R u really there? I have never done this before please bare

Customer Question

R u really there ?
JA: No. I'm the Veterinarian's Assistant.
Customer: I have never done this before please bare with me
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: My 16 month puppy Terrier ate boric acid
JA: The Veterinarian will know if the terrier will be able to digest that. What is the terrier's name?
Customer: She is throwing up slit of blood and. Has straight water and blood coming out the other end
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the terrier?
Customer: It happens two days ago. I gave her milk and she appeared to be better as the day progressed
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

While borates (boric acid and the salt of boric acid) aren't considered toxic unless ingested in egregious amounts, they can be quite irritating to the gastrointestinal mucosa resulting in inappetence, vomiting, and diarrhea. Kidneys are particularly sensitive to overdoses of borates. The presence of such severe symptoms in your Terrier indicate hospitalization on IV fluids (to restore normal hydration status and electrolytes; and to keep the kidneys open and flushed), injectable antacid and antiemetic drugs, and a gastrointestinal "bandage" in the form of oral sucralfate. Nothing should be given orally at this time. There's no specific antidote. Treatment is supportive and symptomatic.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.