Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

My dog is drinking water but she has not really eaten in 4

Customer Question

My dog is drinking water but she has not really eaten in 4 days. She has maybe eaten 1-2 meals
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Tallulah
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tallulah?
Customer: She is 13, a puppy mill rescue , and has only 5 teeth that are not great
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 months ago.

Very sorry to hear about Tallulah.

Absolutely, it is time to get in to the vet for routine testing.

Even if she is exhibiting no vomiting or diarrhea, it is critical to rule-out any systemic disease that could be causing her distress. At 4 days, this is very unlikely to be a routine dietary indiscretion that made her ill.

For nausea, you can give some Pepcid A.C. antacid. If you provide her body weight I can give dosing, but that is not good enough. A basic blood and urine test may not give a definitive answer, but it can help to rule-out may other possible causes of loss of appetite.

Hope that information helps

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 months ago.

Hope everything is going okay?