Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

I have a Borzoi 9 months, in the last week this has happened

Customer Question

I have a young Borzoi 9 months, in the last week this has happened every day after boeing at the dog park for a couple hrs. he runs alot of course and he is very fast. He gets in a couple of good long runs, and then rests, I do not give him lots of water if he is going to run again or play hard afraid of bloat. he will be playing again and all of a sudden he is lying down on his side wont move but not stiff, and looking wild eyed and crying as if in pain. of course I run to him, and in probably only a minnutes about 3 he ok and gets up as if nothing happened. Does not seem like a seizure, or bloat but am very concerned as it has happened 4 times.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. It is good that you're familiar with the bloat / GDV situations that can happen. I would say this situation is one that has peeked my interest. Probably the best thing you can do is to video one of these events so you can take that to your vet for them to view it directly. Now a days with all the smart phones, getting video of abnormal behavior is a lot easier to do. Being able to see specifically what is going on will be key here. Could this be fatigue or discomfort? Could it be a focal seizure? Myasthenia graves can have periods of weakness after exercise too. I'll be honest and say that maybe you can let him have a little more water after playing as this may help to cool him off and hydrate him if he's been playing hard. I know the concern is there for a bloat, but I would feel it would be way less than the benefit of hydration and cooling for him.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
your not telling me much, not even what Mathasthenia graves is. The video would show exactly what I described....

Myasthenia graves is a neuromuscular condition that can have weakness develop after exertion. It is something that can be tested for with a blood test. It is on the rule out list, but it wouldn't seem highly likely here. I'm going to be honest here and say that a seizure event seems pretty suspect here. Seizures can be due to epilepsy, liver shunts, or other metabolic issues. The video again is going to give a visual of what you're seeing to your vet so they can interpret it. A description of the event can only do so much. Visually seeing what is going on will help them to better understand it.