Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has a 'blister' next to her anus (about 1 inch from

Customer Question

My dog has a 'blister' next to her anus (about 1 inch from it, on lower right side) which just started bleeding. She has had no other symptoms, pooped without trouble this morning and is eating normally. Should I take her to the vet?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: She is a cocker spaniel, 6 yrs old.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has she had this lump?

Is it bleeding continuously or profusely?

Has she been licking or chewing at it?

Any pus from it?

Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so, this will let me see what you are seeing. To post them online, you can use the paperclip icon on the tool bar above your text box. Or if you can't see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on any other site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She has not had this before. No pus and the bleeding has stopped.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She has been licking it a lot for the last 30 minutes.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry the picture very fuzzy
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I haven't noticed the lump before and I don't think she has had it for long
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

Unfortunately the photo not being in focus makes the nature of this hard to decipher. That said, from what I can make out, this doesn't look like a blister, but rather soft tissue inflammation. That could just be appearing secondary to her licking the irritated area, but we do need to be careful with any lesion like this by the rectum. This is because we can see anal gland impactions appear this way before they rupture through the skin but can also see nasty cancers look this way. And since this is an area with so little space to spare, we tend to find that if we are not proactive with the latter, we quickly get to a situation where it is too big to remove. Otherwise, just to note, this could also be a benign growth, hematoma, cyst or abscess (infection).

With this in mind and how irritated she is if she has been licking, we'd be best to have her seen. Her vet can check and express her anal gland to make sure it is not involved. They can also start antibiotics and anti-inflammatories to address most of our concerns. And if they are concerned that this feels like a growth, then they can sample it via fine needle aspiration(FNA). This is where the vet uses a needle to harvest cells from the lump. If they remove pus, then this tells us that there is infection present and antibiotics can be dispensed. Otherwise, if the above are not found, then the cells they harvest can be stained to tell us what is present and whether it is something that needs more serious treatment.

Overall, if this lump is sudden in appearance, we would consider possible inflammation. Still with how close to the rectum it is and her telling us that its causing her discomfort, we'd be best to have her seen at this point. That way her vet can palpate +/- sample this lump to identify its cause so that appropriate treatment can be initiated to address it for your wee one.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet