Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident

I have a 12 week old maltipoo. we have recently let her

Customer Question

I have a 12 week old maltipoo. we have recently let her explore our front yard which has a california oak tree growning over it There are lots of small oak leaves and acorns in our yard. Though we try and keep her from eating them, she has eaten a few. Should we be worried? So for she seems fine.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 2 months ago.

I am glad that your dog seems to be fine despite eating acorns, and she likely is for now.

However, I recommend preventing her from doing this in the future by keeping her out of the area or raking them up on a regular basis. Acorns can be dangerous in 2 ways- physically and toxically.

Generally, acorns are not a problem for dogs in a toxic sense unless they are cracked and the toxins inside are released. If the acorns are swallowed whole, they can cause a GI obstruction which is a life threatening matter and requires surgery to resolve. Thus while a whole acorn will not be toxic, it may cause an obstruction. And while pieces of an acorn may be small enough to pass, the dog will be exposed to the toxins normally contained inside the acorns on the way out of tis GI tract. Does this answer your question today? Please let me know if you need further clarification.

I strive for 100% customer satisfaction so please do not hesitate to let me know if I can provide clarification. If you are satisfied with my service today, I would appreciate a positive rating as this is the only that the website will know that I have been helpful and thus the only way I will be compensated for my time. thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Ellie