Dr. Karing
Dr. Karing, Veterinarian
Experience:  General veterinarian with a special interest in internal medicine and emphasis on individualized care.

My 11 month old chiwheenie was spayed on Thursday. Friday

Customer Question

My 11 month old chiwheenie was spayed on Thursday. Friday evening through Monday morning she has had diarrhea and vomiting (mucasy yellow). I took her to the vet Monday morning and was told she is reacting to not having pain medicine (I opted to not get the additional pain medication to take home).
I have never heard of this before. She was up every 60 to 90 minutes last night being sick one way or another. I think she has a parasite or coccidia. Please let me know what you think of pain as being the cause of the diarrhea and vomiting.
Thank you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Karing replied 2 months ago.

Hi there,

I'mCustomerand I would be glad to help with your question. I'm sorry your dog Chile isn't feeling well. Stress, of which pain is one example, can result in diarrhea and loss of appetite. It would be uncommon, but still possible, for pain to cause vomiting. Because pain after spay surgery is not commonly associated with vomiting, I would recommend ruling out other causes of vomiting. Spay surgery complications should also be considered: such complications are infrequent but can be serious (i.e. damage to one or both ureters causing kidney pain/failure, post-surgical infection, etc.). Fecal exam to rule-out parasites, routine lab work to help look for metabolic disease, pancreatitis, etc. and possibly abdominal x-rays should be considered. It is possible all those tests would still not provide an explanation as to why Chile is vomiting and having diarrhea: perhaps she ate something we don't know about that upset her gastroinestinal tract.

If you prefer a more conservative route due to the expense of the diagnostic tests, then subcutaneous fluids to correct/prevent dehydration, an injection for nausea and opiod pain medication by injection (i.e. buprenorphine, hydromorphone) followed by Tramadol pain medication orally would be logical steps for the next 24 hours. I would not recommend use of non-steroidal antiinflammatory drugs such as Rimadyl (i.e. generic name carprofen) as they can contribute to GI upset. If there is no improvement after 24 hours of conservative therapy, then the diagnostics metioned above should definitely be performed.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful. Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if you have more questions orwould like additional information. It is my goal to provide you with the most complete information possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating. If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Hi Laurie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Chile. How is everything going?

Dr. Karing