Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I have a yorkey got spread by skunk now he has rash and

Customer Question

i have a yorkey got spread by skunk now he has rash and screaces like
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am sorry to hear your dog has a rash from a skunk spray!

I can give you some basic guidelines but if there is no change please consider a veterinary exam to determine if medications are warranted to treat the rash

- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8-12 hours for itch (to ensure an accurate dose). It may cause mild sedation initially
-Combine 1/2 quart hydrogen peroxide, 1/8 cup of baking soda, and 1 teaspoon liquid dishwashing soap in an open container. Draw a tepid bath and put your dog in it. Apply the solution liberally throughout your dog's coat and suds him up well (to the skin). Avoid getting any solution in his eyes. Follow with an oatmeal based shampoo localized over the area of the rash x 10 minutes before rinse

- Cool compresses to the area of the rash to provide relief

I hope this information makes sense and gives you a starting point for how to control his symptoms. Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Hi Gary,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Max. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman