Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog was throwing up for a week. He is a 26 pound.

Customer Question

My dog was throwing up for a week. He is a 26 pound King Charles. Unfortunately he gets into things and eats anything. He threw up a piece of plastic that was like a small slice of a straw but heavier duty (last week when he started this throwing up business). I took him to the vet and they put him on a prescription diet (he still threw up a small amount once during the four days he has been on it. They gave him a strong shot for anti nausea and 4 pills to be taken one each day. He has never run a fever, stools are a little softer and he is not quite himself. They indicated that he might have pancreatitis and would need blood work and a sonogram next. He is still a little lethargic and would eat all his special diet.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What medication is he on specifically just now? Is he still vomiting despite it?

Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

Did they feel that he was tender or sore in his belly?

Since you only provided a history and no actual question, what is your question about his situation?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
his gums are nice and pink he is having normal bowel movements. He's having a hard time eating his prescription diet. He was given a shot to calm his stomach down and put on for days of Cerenia One pill a day. He has thrown up a little bit twice since being on this treatment. The vet indicated that if he continued to throw up he would need a sonogram and blood work. I was wanting to know if you agreed with that they were concerned that it was pancreatitis. Yes they felt his stomach and could not feel anything. He has passed a plastic toy earlier when he was younger. So I know he gets into things even though we try hard to watch him.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

I have to say that if he is vomiting despite Cerenia, then I whole heartedly agree with your vet. An xray or ultrasound would be indicated if a foreign body is suspect. Though if pancreatitis is suspect, then bloods (especially checking the pancreatic lipase) and an ultrasound are the best way to diagnose that. And those would be my next step here if we have dog vomiting through the Cerenia; especially since that drug usually settles mild nausea from infections and less serious issues. So, his vomiting despite treatment is a red flag of severe issues like pancreatitis but also fits with mechanical irritation of the GI from something potentially still being lodged inside the gut.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.
Hi Juanita,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet