PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

Please help me asap!! My dog was just fine playing with the

Customer Question

Please help me asap!! My dog was just fine playing with the other dogs earlier. When I called him to go potty outside he didn't come. He was sleeping under. The bed which is not unusual. When I looked under there to get him he couldn't move at all not even lift his head. When he tried his body had a kinda spasem. He wouldn't take a piece of cheese which is his favorite or do anything at all. The only response I get is when I scratch his favorite spot he seems to enjoy it. I'm very upset and worried what could this be?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today.

It's very possible that Baxter may be suffering from a muscle spasm in his neck or upper back. We commonly see this when dogs are tender and not moving around as they normally do, especially while avoiding lifting their head. Treatment protocol usually involves canine-safe NSAIDs, pain medication, muscle relaxers and kennel rest. Ideally, an exam will be performed by your vet and x-rays taken, if needed.

Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This would make him like he is paralyzed? Including his mouth etc?? He is breathing I by but thats pretty much it?? And how long would spasm last? It has been several hours.

It can cause body-wide pain, yes, and in some cases that are more advanced we can see paralysis though it's more common in the back end. Without treatment, if paralysis is involved, the dog may actually never retain ability to move. Based on your description I imagine this is high up enough in the neck that its causing more problems than most with the body. He needs to be seen by your veterinarian to have treatment started before anyone can give you an idea on how long the symptoms may last.

There's a great volume of information here: