Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dogs personality has always been back lenny. Except when

Customer Question

my dogs personality has always been laid back lenny. Except when it gets really hot outside, he will not go outside because of the bees and flies. They have always driven him crazy. So when it is super hot outside we let him stay in the house and he is fine. But something has changed. We came home the other day and it appeared that he had been clawing at the windows and they had his slober all over them. We just chalked it up to he must of seen a fly or something. But today we came home and he had clawed at about 4 different windows in the house and clawed the wood around them. But in my craft room he had done the same but had knocked everything over and tore everything apart into pieces. As well as when I came in the house he was panting super fast, as if he was having an anxiety attack or something. Could you help us with this we are concerned for our Tango.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about this worrying change in Tango and the destruction he caused. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

For such a sudden change in him, the first thing I would do if he were my dog is a thorough physical exam, and basic blood tests, trying to find out if there is a physical problem that has caused this change in him, such as hormonal imbalances, low blood sugar, liver disease, etc. Dog can have separation anxiety and be destructive when left alone, but it is unusual for it to suddenly appear in a dog his age that has never been anxious before. Some kind of imbalance or neurologic condition may be the cause, and starting with an exam and some blood tests is where I would start if he were my patient.

If blood tests are all normal, and no problems are found, then I would treat it as separation anxiety. This means combining anxiety medication with retraining him to be by himself.

The only other explanation I can think of is that something frightened him badly that first time he scratched up the windows, something he heard or saw outside that made him want to get outside in a hurry, and now he feels that anxiety when he is alone. Anti anxiety medication may help (fluoxetine, clomipramine), but he would need an exam and blood tests before starting on these medications.

Let me know what other questions I can answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

I hope you were able to see my response; I have not heard back from you! Let me know how Tango is doing and if this was helpful.