Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I have a pit / boxer mix and he is loosing his hair. His vet

Customer Question

I have a pit bull / boxer mix and he is loosing his hair. His vet can't seem to figure it out, he was on atihistamines but it made no difference. The did a scrape test and he has no bugs. At this time his belly and chest are completely with no hair, just super soft skin. He is also loosing the hair around his ears, at this time he looks as if he has a short mohawk of fur down his neck and over the top of the head. He is itching his ears from time to time but nothing excessive. Please help. Thanks, ***** *****
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

Kim, have Willard's vet review canine pattern baldness - an idiopathic (unknown cause) alopecic disorder seen in Boxers and other breeds. Pattern baldness often begins during early adulthood. Gradual thinning of hairs usually progresses to complete alopecia as the dog gets older. Hair loss is symmetrical but remaining hairs don't easily epilate. Alopecia may involve the lateral aspects of the ear pinnae, postauricular (behind the ear) regions, and caudomedial thighs, and the ventral aspect of the neck, chest and abdomen. Alopecic skin becomes secondarily hyperpigmented over time.

No specific treatment is known. In some dogs, hair regrowth may occur with melatonin (3-12 mg/dog orally every 12-24 hours for 3 months). Although hair loss is usually irreversible, this is a cosmetic problem only that doesn't affect a dog's qulity of life.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish. I have to leave my computer for the night but I promise to reply in the morning if need be.

Hi Kim,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Willard. How is everything going?