Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

49 day of pregnancy for my 3 yr old standard poodle. She is

Customer Question

49 day of pregnancy for my 3 yr old standard poodle. She is leaking a green/blk discharge - soaking a sanitary pad 1 every hour. She is eating, no vomiting, but will not drink nor eliminate outside. I took her to the vet this afternoon and had an ultrasound. Many pups...some viable, some not. The vet gave her introvenuous fluids and shot of antibiotics. Sent us home with a perscription for an antibiotic ( 2 x daily) and I just gave her dinner and her pill. She is lethargic. Going back tomorrow for progesterone testing. She was tested for brucellosis prior to breeding. What do you think is causing this and do you think I will lose this litter?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the standard poodle?
Customer: No. No more questions
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. That greenish black discharge comes from premature separation of the placenta if it precedes the birth of a puppy by more than 2 hours. This would account for a non-viability of some of the offspring. There is a possibility that she may lose the litter. There is also a possibility that she can get a serious uterine infection as well, and the puppies may need to be aborted. If she starts to do better and is not having any other complications or symptoms of illness, I would recheck the ultrasound in 5-7 days to see if there is any change. If more puppies seem non-viable, she is having more of that discharge or she seems to be getting more sick; your vet may need to abort the puppies and even remove her uterus. If she seems to stabilize, she will most likely need a C-section to deliver the puppies due to the current complications. If your vet doesn't specialize in dog reproduction, I would ask them if there is one in your area that you can be referred to. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.