Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

I'm really worried, So I've been babysitting my uncles dog

Customer Question

Hi I'm really worried
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: So I've been babysitting my uncles dog and my uncles house was full of trees and shade and it wasn't as hot as over where I live
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: He has developed like bald ppatches and now she's lifting her left hind leg
JA: OK. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: There's no wound
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: It all happened as the week become hotter
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

Where are on her body are the patches? Is she itching them?

Any changes to the skin (ie pustules, pimples, redness, crusts/scaling, ulcers, or sores)?
Any diet change that you are aware of?

Does he keep her on monthly flea treatment? Are you seeing any fleas?

Does the leg seem sore for her? Any wounds, swellings or areas that unstable or tender?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did change up her food. And it's just bald spots on the patches and now she's holding up her hind leg
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you,

Can she put the leg down at all?

Could she have fallen, slipped or injured herself since that started (since the 2 signs aren't likely related to one another)?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She will when she pees or poops
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you again,

Now it does appear we have 2 different issues. Her balding, especially if she is itching with it, could be related to you changing her food. If she has a sensitivity to a protein or component of the new diet, that could certainly cause irritation and hair loss. So, we'd want to switch back to the last food we know she tolerated to at least rule that out. (Though be aware that it can take up to 6 weeks for food based allergens to leave the skin cells). Therefore, if she is very itchy, we may need to use an antihistamine to soothe her irritation. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. As well, you can use an oatmeal bath for her if she is very irritated. But if this is due to a food allergy, we'd expect this to keep her stable (she may need steroids from her vet if her signs are severe) as the allergens leave her body.

Otherwise, I am glad she can bear weight a bit on this leg, as that rules out spinal issues, hip dislocation and full thickness fractures. Though we would still be wary of muscle strain, tendon damage, or possible hairline fractures. So, for this she needs to be rested (no stairs, getting on/off furniture, only walks on the lead to do her business and back to resting). If you do this for the next 24-48 hours but don't see improvement then you may need to ring your uncle to get permission to have her to her vet. That way we can get to the root of this for her but most importantly get her onto dog safe pain relief to help her regain full use of the leg.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )