Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My dog was bitten by another dog, she has 2 puncture wounds

Customer Question

My dog was bitten by another dog, she has 2 puncture wounds on her neck chest
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation with Frannie. How long ago did the bite happen? Do you have access to a veterinary hospital or ER clinic at this time? Bite wounds are ones that sometimes can be pretty simple and sometimes very, very serious. IT all depends on the area bitten and how deep the bites go. If the wounds are just in the skin and they are simple punctures, then they are typically ones that can heal well after being clipped and cleaned and then a course of antibiotics started orally. The oral antibiotics are good as there may be bacteria implanted deeper in the tissues. Some bites can crush or puncture into organs / cavities deeper in the area of the bite.