Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

Ingested 30 feet of parachute cord three days ago. Normal

Customer Question

Ingested 30 feet of parachute cord three days ago. Normal energy,. activities and bowel movements since then until the last two hours when she first passed a large, loose stool with audible gas then, an hour later tried to defecate with gas and only a little liquid. I am considering administering two tablespoons of mineral oil. It is two hours before she is normally put in the kennel for the night. Should I wait until morning? Should I give with food? if so, how much? Ynaks>jon
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: French Brittany. Ten months old, Twenty-one pounds.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 months ago.

I would do absolutely nothing!

You need to get to a vet now for an x-ray to see what is going on in the intestinal tract. That is a massive amount of cord for a pet that size. She is definitely ill. You give that mineral oil, she is going to have severe intestinal distress.

This could very likely require surgical intervention.

Definitely, do not give anything. An immediate x-ray is warranted.

Good Luck!

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 months ago.

I am just following up to ensure you got my answer, since this could become a very very serious situation.

Please let me know if I didn't fully answer your question.