petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats

My mini schnauzer has diabetes & is on humulin 13units every

Customer Question

my mini schnauzer has diabetes & is on humulin 13units every 12 hrs. His readings have been extremely low all day (58,58,54) should I give him his insulin tonight 7:15 or cut back or what?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Berger today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you.

When dealing with a diabetic, it is always safer to error on the side of cautious, at least for the short term. If his readings have been that low today, I would skip his evening insulin tonight and see where he is in the morning. If he is still low, I would also skip that until you are able to speak with his vet. That will not be harmful at all, even if his blood sugar rises up over the next 12-24 hours. Make sure he eats tonight and if he starts to act weak or lethargic tonight, make sure to offer him a small amount of honey or pancake syrup directly in his mouth to increase his blood sugar. Make sure to report all of this to your vet as soon as they reopen so that they can make changes to get him back on track.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z