Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My 5 month old Rotty Pup has parvo vet gave me a iv for him

Customer Question

My 5 month old Rotty Pup has parvo vet gave me a iv for him but it is now empty and can not get one before morning he is taking peadialite by dropper but is still vomiting and nathargiic can I make normal saline and use it in his iv
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the pup eat anything unusual?
Customer: No not that I know of
JA: What is the pup's name?
Customer: Chalktall
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chalktall?
Customer: He was doing better on the iv and the peadialite but the longer he goes with out the iv he seems to get weeker
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 months ago.

Definitely, do not give anything else intravenously.

You will have to focus on the pedialyte, gatorade, or even adding some canned tuna juice to his water (change frequently as it will spoil) to help encourage water intake.

To help the stomach, you can give a 1/2 tablet of a over the counter Pepcid A.C. antacid 10mg regular strength. So, you are giving 5mg.

I assume the vet sent you home with some medications as well.

If not, ask for Cerenia, a once a day strong anti-vomiting drug, than can be given along with the Pepcid A.C.

If diarrhea, ask for metronidazole.

You can even give him a teaspoon or two of pancake syrup or karo syrup. It will give some energy.

We used to believe that we would not feed them in the face of vomiting when they have parvo. Now, it is believed even if vomiting, we still want them to eat some. This is not true in any other situation like having swallowed a foreign body.

Hope that information helps

Good Luck

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 months ago.

Hope everything is going okay?

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?