Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

She is an intact female 10 years who has gone into heat. She

Customer Question

She is an intact female 10 years who has gone into heat. She has fluid in her uterus. The vet has prescribed clavamox. She has shown improvement such as smome
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: Some mobility and is now eating and drinking, she has had formed stool earlier but now she is pushing water. I was wondering if Pepto could be administered and what
Dose.. she is about a 4-5 lb yorkie
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Chloe
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chloe?
Customer: She is in excellent health otherwise,.oh she has never had puppies and is currently in hear which triggered this. We are trying to get her through this and then she will be spayed. This is this first time this has occurred.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Chloe. PeptoBismol is reasonable at the wide dosing range of 0.1 - 1 mL/lb of body weight 3-4X daily. I'm more concerned with the "fluid" in her uterus, however. If it represents mucus (mucometria) we have the luxury of time on our side but if it represents pus (pyometra), we don't. Has she been passing either mucus or pus through her vagina?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I do know know about the pus I have not seen any. We know about the diagnosis and what could happen if it is pyometra. My son just confirmed the vet said there was no discharge. She will be going back to the vet this week. For further review. This has been going on two weeks. She had just started eating Thursday, but now does not have an appetite I am thinking the medicine is upsetting stomach. Any suggestion on supplements to help her?

Yes, Clavamox is known to cause gastrointestinal distress. Please ask Chloe's vet for another antibiotic such as the broad spectrum enrofloxacin which should be better tolerated. This isn't something that supplements will be helpful for. I wouldn't wait any longer. I would spay her at your earliest convenience. She should be maintained on IV fluids and antibiotics prior to, during, and after surgery which I would expect to be curative. Two weeks of illness is too long and risks further damage to her major organs. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She died Monday morning after a night full of suffering.

Oh my goodness. My condolences for your loss of Chloe. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know. You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.