Dr. Karing
Dr. Karing, Veterinarian
Experience:  General veterinarian with a special interest in internal medicine and emphasis on individualized care.

Over counter medication for kennel cough

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Karing replied 2 months ago.

Hi there,

I'mCustomerand I would be glad to help with your question about medication for kennel cough. Kennel cough is most often a viral infection that often arises in an opportunistic bacterial infection. The viral component (i.e. often parainfluenza) has to run its course in about 10-14 days. The bacterial component is treated with antibiotics: doxycycline is a frequent choice. Doxycycline is a prescription medication that cannot bee prescribed except through a visit to your dog's veterinarian. Please note that dogs with kennel cough may also sneeze or have discharge from their eyes. They do NOT typically have lethargy, decreased appetite or fever. Those symptoms would suggest a more complicated situation such as pneumonia and/or canine influenza. If your dog has those more serious symptoms, then do not delay in seeing your vet.

Kennel cough is also treated with cough suppressants which increase comfort and decrease inflammation caused by frequent cough (i.e. inflammation promotes conditions that favor continued infection). You can use Robitussin Long Acting Cough formula

The dose of Robitussin Long Acting Cough formula for dogs is 1 teaspoon (5 mLs) per 15 lbs of body weight every 8 hours (i.e. 1/2 teaspoon per 7.5 lbs, etc.). The only active ingredient is Dextromethorphan: check and double check that on the product you purchase because other active ingredients could seriously harm your dog. I do recommend a visit to your vet to get an exam and appropriate antibiotics. They may prescribe a prescription cough suppressant which is likely to work better.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful. Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if you have more questions orwould like additional information. It is my goal to provide you with the most complete information possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating. If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

I hope you found my response helpful. Please let me know if you require additional information.

Customerbr />