Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

I have a maltise and she is 7 yrs old and has arthritis

Customer Question

I have a maltise and she is 7 yrs old and has arthritis pain. What over the counter pain med can I give her? She is about 7 lbs.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** question, if Bianca is suffering from arthritis pain, it would be ideal to have her vet dispense dog safe anti-inflammatories (ie Metacam, Rimadyl, Onsior, etc) for her. Though for the moment, provided she is healthy, is eating, and isn't on any medications; you can choose to give a low dose of buffered Aspirin (More Info/Dose HERE) and start OTC joint supplements like Glucosamine, Chondroitin, Duralactin or Omega 3 fish oils. All of the latter are included in a range of OTC dog specific preparations that you can get from your vet, pet store or even online. So, those would be our over the counter options but for the long term we'd want to think about moving up her next booster appointment so that long term pain relief can be started if need be.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The link to the dose is not working. How much can I give her. She is healthy and not taking any medicines
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm an RN. Is a 81 mg ASA OK for her weight.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hi again,

Apologies there not sure what happened. Anyway you can find the link @ and as you'll see a dog this small cannot have that much. Instead start at35 mg.

Best wishes,

Dr. B