Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

Our English bulldog has swallowed a peach pit. What should

Customer Question

Our English bulldog has swallowed a peach pit. What should we do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did he ear this?

Any gagging, retching, lip licking, drooling or vomiting?

Can he keep water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
None, no gagging, retching, lip licking. He has swallowed it whole.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It is a peach pit. We are just attempting to find out what we should do
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
will he pass it?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you,

I have received your reply and am typing a treatment plan, I will post in full in a moment. But can you tell me how long ago he ate this?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hi again,

Now I share your concern her. Fruit pits are always a worry when ingested by our dogs. This is because some can get stuck and some have abrasive edges that can damage the delicate GI. So in these cases we need to proceed with care.

In regards ***** ***** you can do at home, monitoring is key at this stage. Therefore, for the next 24-48 hours, we'd want to make sure that his gut stays comfortable (which you can check by pressing on the belly to see if he has any tensing, discomfort, or pain). Furthermore, we want to monitor for restlessness, lethargy, vomiting with blood or coffee ground type material, inability to keep any food or water down, anorexia, pale gums, straining to pass feces or passage of black feces (digested blood). If we see any of these signs, then we'd have to assume its stuck and would want to have his vet feel his stomach +/- xray to make sure there is no risk of any form of obstruction.

Otherwise, while monitoring, we would want to put him on an easily digestible diet. Examples of this would be rice/pasta/boiled plain potato with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled egg, meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Whichever you choose, offer this as small frequent meals to keep his stomach settled. Furthermore, add a spoon of canned pumpkin (a good fiber source) +/- a dose of cat hair ball medication or GI lubricant (ie lactulose, food grade mineral oil, or Miralax) over the next few days to encourage this to slip through the GI and keep moving along. Of course, do note that if you use the GI lubricants, we can a bit more loose feces while they are being used (so don't be alarmed). With these supports we will hopefully keep this from getting caught and passed safely via his feces.

Overall, when dogs eat items like this, we do have obstruction concerns. Therefore, we want to start the above to help make sure this doesn’t’ get caught while watching for those other signs. And if you were to see any hint of those, then we'd want to have a check with his vet as an xray and possible surgical retrieval would be indicated. But hopefully since he is showing no signs at this point, we can keep this moving and help him pass it out the other end.

Just in case anything changes or he develops these above signs, and you do need your local ER vet, you can check HERE and @

All the best,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )