Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

Has even diagnosed with collapsing trachea and is on heart

Customer Question

Has even diagnosed with collapsing trachea and is on heart medication and 2 directives as has been experiencing coughing over the last several days can I give him over the counter cough medicine
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bandit and he is 11 he weighs 7 lbs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bandit?
Customer: Has been on antibiotics for the last 1" days for sinus infection
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 months ago.

No, I would strongly advise against any over-the-counter cough suppressant. Why?

This is not just a tracheal issue. You mentioned he is also on 2 heart drugs. Without knowing the condition of his heart and if this could be related to heart failure, giving an over-the-counter cough suppressant can mislead a owner to thinking he is improved, when he is actually getting worse. If he is developing fluid in the lungs due to advancing heart disease, than he would need to immediately start on a diuretic to pull that fluid out. Of course, that is just one guess, but wanted to say that to illustrate my point why just arbitrarily starting cough suppressants can be bad.

Definitely, he needs to be rechecked by any vet to understand why the cough has gotten worse over the past few days.

Hope that information helps

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She is on 2 directive along with the. Heart medication
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 months ago.

I am not certain what is a "directive"

Although, my answer definitely is unchanged. In fact, if on these various drugs with worsening of the cough, that supports my concern for worsening lung issues or other complications of the herart disease.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 months ago.

Hope everything is going okay?