Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My 16 yr old bichon hasn't eaten in 3 days. He's lethargic &

Customer Question

My 16 yr old bichon hasn't eaten in 3 days. He's lethargic & sleeping a lot. He has drank a little water today but refusing his favorite foods.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: His name is Sammy.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sammy?
Customer: About 1 1/2 yrs ago he had a few seizures but none since that time.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Sammy. Any dog who has been anorexic for 3 days is in trouble but it indicates life-threatening disorders in a 16 year old in which major organ insufficiencies - hepatic and renal failure, e.g. - as well as age-related malignancies need to be considered. Sammy's vet will want to perform a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests. You should know within 24 hours why Sammy is symptomatic in this manner and if he can be helped. Time is of the essence. Such a geriatric dog doesn't have the reserve that a much younger dog has. He's currently quite dehydrated and electrolyte imbalanced and so I would expect his vet to administer supplemental fluids once blood and urine is obtained for testing.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Should I wait her online?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry, should I wait here online?

Please see above your last post for my reply to you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm sorry but I don't see your reply above my post.

Here you go: "I'm sorry to hear of this with Sammy. Any dog who has been anorexic for 3 days is in trouble but it indicates life-threatening disorders in a 16 year old in which major organ insufficiencies - hepatic and renal failure, e.g. - as well as age-related malignancies need to be considered. Sammy's vet will want to perform a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests. You should know within 24 hours why Sammy is symptomatic in this manner and if he can be helped. Time is of the essence. Such a geriatric dog doesn't have the reserve that a much younger dog has. He's currently quite dehydrated and electrolyte imbalanced and so I would expect his vet to administer supplemental fluids once blood and urine is obtained for testing.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish."