Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I accidentally gave my about 12 pound new puppy a trifexis

Customer Question

I accidentally gave my about 12 pound new puppy a trifexis for my 40 pound older dog. Will the puppy be ok? Will he throw up? Get sleepy? Should I give him water or bread?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has it been since you gave the Trifexis?

2- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I gave him the trifexis about a half hour ago.
Yes I have 3% hydrogen peroxide.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Puppy is healthy and all shots up to date.

Friend, the ingredients in Trifexis have a very wide safety margin in dogs. I don't believe this will be fatal for your puppy. But, he could experience symptoms like: Vomiting, lethargy, trembling, difficulty walking, etc. to avoid any symptoms I would try to induce vomiting. This is what you can do:

1- Give him 1 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide orally to induce vomiting.

2- Allow him to walk for a minute and move his belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If he does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.

3- If he does not vomit or you do not see the pill in the vomit observe him for the next 24 hours, if you notice symptoms like: Lethargy, trembling, difficulty walking, etc. I would have him checked by ER veterinarian for supportive care.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.