Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

He's been having a lot of problems lately due to his

Customer Question

He's been having a lot of problems lately due to his hip/knee arthritis and he is 12 years old.
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: dog
JA: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: ok ill try to make a list of his symptoms just the last few days
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: hips mostly
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: nope
JA: OK. Nothing visually obvious. Is the dog eating normally?
Customer: no he isnt, today when i was gone at work for 8 hours he didnt drink or eat from his bowl
JA: OK, abnormal eating. What is the dog's name?
Customer: buddy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about buddy?
Customer: he hasnt been able to poop due to the pain the squatting causes him, he also has been whining, throwing up yellow bile, and is now starting to have trouble standing up
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
within the past year he has had trouble just walking down the block without extreme panting. within the past two months he has increasingly been having trouble walking around the house with his back legs (making short strides while walking). within the past 3-4 weeks he has been having trouble getting off/on the little step on the backyard door (sometimes collapsing). just starting yesterday he will barely get up at all (even to go to the bathroom), is not able to poop when hes trying, has been throwing up yellow bile, whining, has trouble falling asleep due to pain. i also have pics of his xray from the vet last week which i will also attach
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
also, he is a half german Shepard/Rottweiler who weighs about 80 lbs.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
he just woke up from his only hour sleep and is whining again and breathing fast but lightly with his mouth open
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Did his vet start pain relief at the time of the xray? Which one?

How long has he been off food and vomiting?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?

Any belly pain or black stools?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He has been given Rimadyl 100mg (15 tabs) one or two a day for his pain, which sadly doesn't seem to be making a difference for his pain. The vet also recommended I euthanize him once the medication is out, which I really don't want to do. Yesterday was the day he started not eating his dry food and now will only eat canned dog food/human food. I got him to eat/drink quite a bit last night once i got home from work and he hasn't vomited since. He's only been whining, and pretty much laying down. His gums are predominately black, but that's normal for his breed. How do I detect stomach pains? and he's only had some small diarrhea since i took him to go to the bathroom last.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you,

I have received your reply and will start to compose my thoughts. But to check for belly pain, you will want to give the abdomen a good feel and press to see if he is sensitive, tense or has a hard belly.

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He's now getting a little restless also and just got off his dog bed to go lay on the ground. And yes his abdomen/stomach is tense and he somewhat whined when i was feeling/pressing it.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you again,

Now I have to say I am concerned about your lad.

To see him off food after starting a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication like Rimadyl raises causes of stomach irritation from the drug. This isn’t uncommon since the drug can reduce stomach mucus production leaving the stomach at the mercy of the stomach acid. This often causes nausea, appetite loss, and can even lead to stomach ulcers (which will cause brown coffee ground vomit and black stools.) And I have to say that this tensing/discomfort makes concerned about a possible brewing ulcer.

Now since we cannot give Rimadyl to a dog that isn’t eating, we need to focus on soothing his stomach and heading off any anorexia. To start, to reduce stomach acid pH and nausea for him, we can start an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any other medications you haven't mentioned.

Afterwards, we’d want to start small frequent meals of a light diet option. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled and absorb the stomach acid.

Further to this, we need to ring his vet about possible alternatives on the pain relief front. There are other non-steroid anti-inflammatories that they can use (ie Metacam, Previcox, etc) that may work better for him. Though we’d want to also speak to them about trying some stronger options before giving up on him. Specifically, they can add Gabapentin, Tramadol, or Buprenorphine to your current treatment. Or even switch to steroids as our last stage option. And at the same time joint supplements (ie Glucosamine, Chrondroitin, Omega 3 fish oils, Duralactin etc)

Overall, I am very sorry to hear that he is having such struggles with his legs and the above would be options to discuss with his vet. Though at the moment, we need to soothe his stomach to counter that suspect nausea and get him eating as well as we can over the weekend. But if he doesn't settle or is very sore, then we' d need him seen as soon as possible to head off any ulcer issues.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?