Ana Bascunan
Ana Bascunan,
Experience:  Small Animal Surgery Resident at University of Florida
94543743

My dog has right front leg limp for about two weeks and a

Customer Question

my dog has right front leg limp for about two weeks and a movable bulging lump at base of armpit. Possibly fluid filled but i cant tell. im a nurse but also cant tell in my 7 year old flat coated retriever if his shoulder bone (ccl? /scapula?) is protruding. It doesnt feel the same as the left side. His appetite, eyes, and gums are fine but his mood and mobility is depressed and hes in pain. I am Beyond broke and in need of best resolution. thank you
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Ana Bascunan replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I'm happy to help answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that your dog has a lump in his armpit and that he is not able to get around easily. I understand that you are financially constrained, but I honestly can't think of a way around getting him evaluated by a veterinarian. The mass needs to be sampled (a fine needle aspirate or biopsy) in order to determine what the best course of action is. Since it is large enough that it is impeding mobility, and because you are concerned about possible muscle atrophy (more prominent scapula), it sounds like it should be seen sooner rather than later.

If you would like me to try and find a low-cost veterinary clinic in your area, I'm happy to do so if you give me your general location.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
thank you for your help and i would love if you would be able to better direct me to a low cost or vet facility that excepts installments. Im a traveling nurse and not from the area in warrenton Virginia. Also, the lump doesnt appear to be big enough to impede mobility. It is tender to touch almost like something orthopedic is out of socket. Since his doggie vitals ( to the best of my knoweledge) are fine and hes eating and wagging his tail like normal it will be the latest friday depending on cost of vet. is there anything i can do or give him for the pain?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
his gums are kind of white but i also just fed him i cant tell if its anemic. idk what its supposed to look like
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
did you find a covering vet in the area of warrinton
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i appreciate your help and time im very concerned since i travel and hes my only buddy
Expert:  Ana Bascunan replied 3 months ago.

Hi there, I'm so sorry that I didn't see your responses until now! I hope you and your dog are doing ok. I looked around and there isn't a definite low-cost clinic in the area of Warrenton, VA.

There is a spay/neuter program, which you are welcome to contact (info below), although they may say they don't do anything other than spay/neuter.

http://www.fauquierspca.com

I also found this clinic that claims to offer affordable services, so you can call and inquire about their services:

http://www.piedmontpetsvet.com/about.htm

Again, I apologize about the delay in response. I wish you both the best!