Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

She ate most of a large tube of Triancimilone ointment

Customer Question

She ate most of a large tube of Triancimilone ointment (spelling?) . It's a prescription strength hydrocortisone ointment.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: She had some diarrhea. Not sure if I should feed her or fast her or feed her bland.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: She is 7 month old Boston Terrier without any issues.
JA: What is the Boston terrier's name?
Customer: Daphne
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Good news, this should not be any sort of serious problem for Daphne. Triamcinolone ointment is a corticosteroid or cortisone type medication. Dogs can actually tolerate very high oral doses of this sort of medication without any risks of serious side effects. I sometimes use an injectable form of this class of medication or prescribe tablets with a very much greater concentration of the active constituent than your dog would have got today.

2. That said some dogs may get a mild transient bout of diarrhoea from the inert constituents of this ointment { White petrolatum and mineral oil } as they will have a laxative effect but if this happens it should not be serious and should soon pass but in this sort of situation frequent bland light meals for a couple of days could greatly help.

3. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Daphne's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you!
Makes perfect sense.
I feel better now:)
Thanks.

No problem, glad to be advising you ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Daphne,

I am just checking back in to see how your Boston is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Triamcinolone ointment ingestion ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She is fine.
Thank you.

Great news! Thanks so much for the update ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Daphne,

Of course I am very glad to have advised you and even more glad that your Boston has been unaffected by her experience. However I wonder if you could possible do me a favour and rate my service to you on the site? This really helps my standing in the Just Answer community.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott