Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Shin tzu+bichon frise diet

Customer Question

shin tzu+bichon frise diet
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am sorry to hear Wolfie is having issues with appetite. Below are some options for you to try

- Begin pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg / pound every 12 hours to help settle the stomach 15 minutes prior to offering small more frequent meals
- Foods to try: boiled lean meat such as bison and white rice. Bison has a more "gamey" odor and dogs tend to be more interested when this is offered. If a homemade diet will help tempt her we need it to be balanced. A book I refer to is Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Dog & Cat Health which is available on amazon.com

- Try to avoid the more acidic foods if possible which will increase stomach upset

- Simethicone (gas x) once to twice daily to reduce gas production and cramping if you note any issues with this
- Increase leash walks. Exercise stimulates the appetite and hopefully will increase her desire to eat

Hopefully this will give you some ideas of things to try today and increase the appetite. I would advise discussing with your vet possible causes of the reduced appetite and your vet will likely dispense an anti nausea medication +/- an appetite stimulant to increase interest in eating again if possible or determine if there are other underlying issues that need to be addressed.

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I truly hope your dog starts eating for you soon

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Don't have bison in New Zealand, but take your point will try more exercise, she is lazy.

Kangaroo is an alternative for you perhaps?

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Hi Thelma,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Wolfie. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman