Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My Boston Terrier has an anal gland abscess. It is now

Customer Question

My Boston Terrier has an anal gland abscess. It is now Saturday night. Can I wait for Monday morning or should I take her in To the Emergency vet?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the Boston terrier's name and age?
Customer: Mindy, She is a small (10 pounds) 14 Months.
JA: How old is Mindy?
Customer: 15 Months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mindy?
Customer: no
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Mindy. While she may think so, an anal gland abscess isn't an emergency situation. If this abscess has already ruptured, I consider that nature's way of healing it. If it hasn't ruptured yet, it can be allowed to do so which then alleviates Mindy's discomfort. In either case, Mindy's vet should take a look at it Monday. I would expect it to be opened more widely and thoroughly flushed with an antimicrobial solution such as chlorhexidine +/- a systemic antibiotic.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.