Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Veterinary Questions
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that your pup Bree ate something she should not have.Because the meat was raw and she just ate it, it's worth trying to get her to vomit it back up. I would be concerned about bacteria in the meat as well as it being a lot of fat and protein at one time.You can give her 1 tablespoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 pounds of body weight soaked up with bread chunks or a small amount of dry dog food (no more than 3 tablespoons even though she weighs more than 40 pounds).Then take her outside and run her around to get the peroxide bubbling so she vomits.If no vomiting in 10 minutes repeat the peroxide dose once.If she vomits and seems to clear her stomach and be done I would check to see if most of the meat is present.
To try and settle her stomach today after she vomits you can give either:1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours. (one 10mg tab every 12 hours should be fine for her)OR2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at one half of a 20mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours. (one half of a 20mg tab every 24 hours should be fine for her)These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle her stomach.If she tends to have a sensitive stomach in general then feed a homemade diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger or white, skinless chicken, all fats drained off the meat, and 2/3 boiled, plain white rice for the next few days.If you don't have peroxide you can get her to an emergency clinic to induce vomiting.If she doesn't vomit it back up or you choose not to take her to an emergency clinic you can still use the acid reducers if she seems to have an upset stomach later today, but I would wait to feed her anything until tomorrow.If you don't induce vomiting and she starts vomiting, has a tense painful belly or refuses to eat or runs a fever (more than 103F rectally) then that can signify an infection or a bout of pancreatitis and she should be seen by a veterinarian immediately.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****