Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a 7 year old black lab. He has been an easy no

Customer Question

I have a 7 year old black lab. He has been an easy no illness dog this entire time. About 2 weeks ago he started whining and not acting like himself....lack of appetite, unless it was treats, panting, pacing. Took him to the vet all blood work came back normal and was sent home with Rymidal That seemed to helps for about 12 hours then he continued to cry out and pace. Sent him back for full x-Ray's which also came back normal. Was sent home with the addition Gabapentrin and doxycycline. After administering the meds he started drooling shoestrings and pacing and was exhausted but would not lay down. That evening he threw a gran mal seizure. We stopped all meds. The next day the vet prescribed prednisone and Prilosec. We administered 20 mg of prednisone every 12 hours....so three pills till he started throwing up everywhere. We then stopped that and he seemed to bounce back for 3 days then started crying and panting and pacing. I have started the Gabapentrin again but it is not touching the pain. The will walk around slowly then stop and start crying out in pain. He does not run anymore, he walks slowly hanging his head and pants. I don't know what to do I hate to see him in pain. We also took him to a neurologist that felt there was nothing wrong with him.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Can you please attach a copy of the blood work that was run?
2) In what state do you reside?
3) Does this dog do any field work? Has he ever?
4) Do you have video of any of his episodes?