Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

Dog is not pooping, sissy 12yrs, no she has had ear

Customer Question

dog is not pooping
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: sissy 12yrs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about sissy?
Customer: no she has had ear infections a few times
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am sorry to hear Sissy is not defecating. Can you please tell me how long it has been and whether she is straining with drips, straining without production, or not trying to defecate at all? What breed is Sissy?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
not trying at all cocker spaniel

And how long since she last defecated? Is she having any vomiting or appetite changes?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
not sure but few days, eats like a horse, no vommiting

Below are steps to help with constipation in dogs. Please no over the counter medications which can be toxic to pets.

1.) A high fiber diet which can include white rice and lean boiled meat. This gives a dog a feeling of satiety and when the stomach is full there is an increased urgency to defecate which will help empty the colon

2.) Add water to the meals which is important in defecation and motility because it aids in lubrication

3.) Regular walks. Leash walks are critical in emptying the colon completely. Especially an hour or so after meals 15-20+ minutes. When the stomach is full the gi tract tends to start increased motility so there is a natural urge to defecate.

4.) Supplements along with the light formula can include white rice (reducing the diet to add this), 1 tbsp canned pumpkin, 1/2 tsp of miralax, carrots for example

If this continues despite these recommendations it would be best to see your veterinarian to ensure there is no issue with the anal glands, a motility disorder that might require medication to treat, or another metabolic cause of this issue

If she is still eating, no vomiting, nausea (licking lips, increased salivation, eating grass) then we can try the above for 24 hours but if there is still no change then please consider a veterinary exam to give an enema if warranted +/- gi motility medications

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman