Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

He is a 7 month old cavapoo and seems to be breathing very

Customer Question

He is a 7 month old cavapoo and seems to be breathing very heavily, and just seems to be a little off today. He has not been in the heat or exerted himself today.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Tucker
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tucker?
Customer: I don't think so. He woke up very happy today, but the heavy breathing probably started a few hours ago
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Tucker's heavy breathing. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

If you look at his gums, do they seem a normal pink color, or pale?

Does he have to open his mouth and pant to breathe?

Can you take his temperature with a thermometer?

Heavy breathing can be from a respiratory infection, stress, pain, heat, or fever. Is he eating and drinking normally?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
His gums are normal color, his mouth is closed and unfortunately I do not have a thermometer. He ate his food this morning and everything seemed normal. But a few hours ago we noticed he was breathing around 60 or more breaths in a minute. He is now back down to about 35. He is currently sleeping on my chest
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

Good that his gums are normal and his mouth is closed. Eating is also a good sign.

Everything sounds good, especially now that he is breathing more normally. If his gums are pink and he is eating, this is probably not an emergency. It would be good to get his temperature, to be sure he is not feverish. Keep him eating and drinking, and quiet; no excessive exercise, and see how he is doing.

Let me know what other questions you have.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I have not heard back from you; I hope you were able to see my response. How is Tucker doing now?

Let me know if this was helpful and if I can answer any other questions.