Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a 13yr old, 8lb yorkie who is constipated for the

Customer Question

I have a 13yr old, 8lb yorkie who is constipated for the first time, What can I do to help him, he tries but nothing. Also his best Friend who was also a Yorkie 15yr old died two days ago and he seems very sad over that, don't know if that would cause that too.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Levinson replied 9 months ago.

Hi there, my name is***** and I'll try to help you and little Benny out today.

1st, I'm sorry about you loosing your older yorkie. and yes, dogs can experience depression.

unless he hasn't really been eating depression doesn't necessarily cause constipation. If he hasn't been drinking a lot that can cause constipation.

Are you sure it's constipation? Some dogs with diarrhea can actually look like they're constipated.

If you've already tried the can pumpkin, which is good you can also try the following:

a little can food

bran

a pinch of Metamucil or better yet, miralax which is tasteless.

I don't know about coconut oil, but a little mineral oil would be ok.

If he hasn't gone by Monday I would take him to the vet for possible x-rays of his abdomen to a)make sure he is definitely constipated and not having colitis or diarrhea and b)to make sure since he is an older dog there is not an abdominal mass in his belly that may be causing his constipation.

and c)they can give him a prescription safe for his age enema if need be or other prescription medications.

Does this help to answer your questions? If so could you please rate me as this is the only way I get compensated.

If you have further questions please don't hesitate to let me know.

I hope Benny feels better soon.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will try those things but where do I buy bran food and miralax. He is eating a little when I put pumpkin in it and he is drinking water all the time and panting a lot.

bran and miralax from the grocery store

I'm glad he's drinking water.

If he seems gassy or to have any kind of gas pains you can also pick up some pediatric gas drops at the grocery store in the baby isle and give him some. It's just simethicone for gas.