PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My little dog as of this morning has thrown up twice and it

Customer Question

My little dog as of this morning has thrown up twice and it is white slimmy foam. He will not eat and seems uncomfortable trying to lay down. He was perfectly fine yesterday. Nose is wet and gums are pink. Does not appear to be running any kind of temp but he definitely is not himself.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 4 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Gabby,

Did your dog have any new treats or food, get into the trash, or eat something he should not have?

Is he having diarrhea as well?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He does not have diarrhea. I just went out and checked. I did give him three or four little pieces of Pizza crust last night that had garlic sauce and cheese on it but it was such a small amount. I wasn't even sure if he ate it. Other than that it has all remained the same. I think it is a tummy ache but I want to make sure. I have an emergency visit scheduled at the vets this afternoon but do not want to do that if this is nothing.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello JACustomer. It looks like Dr. Gabby had to step away for a bit, so she has opted out and allowed another expert to step in to assist.

Its very possible with the vomiting that the pizza crust could be causing this. In fact, we find that people sharing food is one of the top concerns with vomiting (and diarrhea, if it occurs) in pets. Your choice to go to the ER today is not a poor one. If nothing else, this will allow the vet to administer medication for nausea to help stop the vomiting. I can also give you some directions to try at home to see if you can get the vomiting stopped without ER intervention. If not, however, you'll still need to go so that your companion does not dehydrate with the persistent vomiting.

The first thing is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can buy the brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following this, you can either offer a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice or a few teaspoons of pureed chicken or turkey baby food to see if your companion is interested and can hold the food down. From there, try to increase the amount every 30-60 minutes. If vomiting occurs, you're back to the recommended ER visit. However, if the vomiting stops, you can eventually wean over to dog food and monitor for changes.

Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800