Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.

My kelpie started yelling when he jumped on the bed and when

Customer Question

My kelpie started yelling when he jumped on the bed and when I touched his back end now he won't get back on the bed or let me touch him anywhere near there as he go's to bite me
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Elmo and he's nearly 5
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Elmo?
Customer: For the past 12 months he growls at my 3 year old son and hides under the bed won't let him near him
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 2 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Gabby. It sounds like he is having pain. Possibly in his hips or spine. It is difficult to tell without doing an exam.

I am also thinking he should be checked by a vet for underlying pain because he could be afraid your son is going to hurt him when he pets him.

I would keep the dog away from your son until he is examined by a vet.

Is there anyway you could take him to the emergency vet today?

Is he on any medications?

How much does he weigh?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No medications he wears an American plastic muzzle when he's around my son now just to be safe
I think he's around 16-19kilos he's leggy for a kelpie

Ok thank you.

If he could see a vet today that would be great.

If not you can give him over the counter human aspirin for pain. It has to be given with a meal or it could cause gastrointestinal upset.

Adult aspirin usually comes in 325 mg tablets. Give him 1/2 a tablet every 12 hours until you can get him to a vet.

Since he is agitated you can put it in a treat like lunch meat, canned dog food, peanut butter, or cheese.

If he starts to become weak or paralyzed in the hind end then he needs to see a vet right away because that can indicate a herniated or ruptured disc in his back and that needs treatment right away.

Otherwise try to get him seen by a vet as soon as you can.

If you can find the sore area you can apply an ice pack for 20 minutes every hour.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He's walking around fine no limping wagging his tail
He'll let me pat up to his stomach and then turns his head like he's about to bite me but can't due to the muzzle
He wants to jump on my bed but it's like he's to afraid too

What if you press down his spine or over his hips? Were you able to read what I wrote?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have
I just tried pressing along his spine as soon as I got just past his stomach he freaked out and has now gone to lay on the floor away from me
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will try to get him to a vet as soon as I can was hoping for an idea as to what might have caused this and if it was a simple thing or something serious
Tonight when he came inside he was biting his back end a lot I didn't think much of it other than maybe it might be a flea and I needed to flea him could that be anything to do with it

To be honest I can not tell you where the location of the injury is and if it serious or not serious without dong an exam.

I would check him for fleas but I think he hurt his back or hips when he jumped.

Since he started yelping when he jumped I would say it is related to some kind of trauma to his back or hips.

It could be a muscle strain, or a strained ligament in his hips, or arthritis flare up in his spine or hips. I know he is younger so I am hoping it is not arthritis.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby