Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I have a 4 month old puppy has a mucus discharge. She is a

Customer Question

I have a 4 month old puppy has a white mucus discharge. She is a stray so trying to house train and train for putside.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the stray dog?
Customer: She a a white purse looking discharge
JA: Where does the stray dog seem to hurt?
Customer: Does not seem to hurt very active
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Leia
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Leia?
Customer: I cannot get her to use the bathroom outside she maybe doed a few drops and that is it. More urine inside ... poops well outside. Only had for two weeks. Take back to vet next week to get shotd
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are concerned as you are noticing a white mucous type discharge after urinating. I am glad to hear that she is still eating and is playing and active.
This sounds like puppy vaginitis. Puppy vaginitis is a mucoid, cloudy, white or yellowish vaginal discharge. We usually see it in puppies that are 6 weeks to about 8 months of age. It can come and go with or without treatment and can last for weeks to months.
Most puppies don’t show any signs of being bothered by it, but others may lick their vulva a lot and develop skin irritation around the vulva along with crusty debris in the hair around the vulva. The amount of discharge varies from puppy to puppy. Some puppies have a lot of discharge and some don’t.
If we examine the discharge under a microscope we will see suppurative inflammation (white cells) but few bacteria.
Other possible causes of these symptoms include a urinary tract infection so your veterinarian may want to collect a sterile urine sample from the bladder to look for signs of an infection.
While other causes (a urinary tract infection or an anatomical abnormality) of vaginal discharge in puppies call for medical treatment, basic puppy vaginitis is more an annoyance than a medical concern and thus we may not treat it beyond keeping the area clean. The most important thing is to differentiate between puppy vaginitis and a more serious problem.
Treatment of puppy vaginitis is mainly patience and keeping the area clean. You can remove the discharge with a wet baby wipe to keep the vulvar area clean. Puppy vaginitis usually goes away on its own, once the dog reaches puberty.

In most cases puppy vaginitis does not interfere with house breaking, but a urinary tract infection may, thus I do recommend that she see her veterinarian to make sure this isn't an infection.

Little dogs can be very difficult to housebreak as they can have accidents in the house and you can easily miss them. The more these occur the more the dog assumes it is fine to do so. In no time a very bad habit has been established.

In most cases by the time owners find evidence that their dog is eliminating in the house training is much more difficult as now we need to retrain them to lose the bad habits and learn new, appropriate behavior so this won't be a quick fix.

You do want to start with a physical examination to make sure all is well physically with her.

If she's healthy I recommend starting housebreaking all over again, as if she had never been trained. That means she isn't left alone or given free range in the home. Some owners will place a long lead on their dog in the house so you can feel as she tugs on it as she starts to try to leave your sight, and then you can get her out. If you cannot watch her she must be crated or confined in a very small area so that she cannot eliminate at one end and sleep on the other.

Most dogs will give some sort of sign they are going to eliminate, such as pacing or leaving the room you are in to eliminate in private. You'll need to watch her closely and learn her signals.

She should be fed meals and taken out shortly after to a particular area where you want her to go and where her scent from previous eliminations are there to attract her. You may want to collect urine and stool and "mark" the area you want her to go so it smells like her. Make sure to praise her profusely when she does the right thing, and just a sharp "No" and out she goes to the right spot if you catch her making a mistake.

I understand that you may have cleaned the accident spots but if an odor eliminator like Nature's Recipe wasn't used the scent may still be there and she will be attracted to those areas. I recommend following up by cleaning again any area she went with an odor neutralizer.

Here is a link to a very good write up about housebreaking: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=2421

In the meantime if she is very anxious outdoors then try placing a DAP collar on her. This is a collar impregnated with a soothing pheromone which may help her to relax. See these links for examples and more information:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=pd_sl_6dg5kcrb9j_b?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Adap+collar&keywords=dap+collar&ie=UTF8&psrk=DAP+collar

http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/behaviortraining/gr/DAP-Dog-Collar.htm

Best of luck with your girl, let me know if you have any further questions.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.