Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

She had a terrible uterus infection and the vet proscribed

Customer Question

She had a terrible uterus infection and the vet proscribed clindamycin last Friday the 22nd and she hasn't eaten in over a week, is nothing but skin and bones. She had been vomiting after drinking water but stopped vomiting today and also stopped drinking water today.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Alexis and she is 12 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Alexis?
Customer: I tried to get her to drink water today even using a syringe to no avail. I believe she is near death, too weak to walk.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Is she only on antibiotics?

Are there health reasons making surgical removal of the uterus an issue?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Too weak ,hasn't hasn't eaten in over a week.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you,

Now that is a shame that she isn’t a surgical candidate since that tends to be the quickest and most effective way to address uterine infections.

In any case, if she is anorexic and wasting away then she needs to be on more than just antibiotics. It would be best to ring her vet about anti-nausea medication (potentially by injection) +/- IV fluids to flush the toxins building up in her blood to cause this nausea.

Or at the very least do try treating her with an antacid. Common pet safe OTC ones we can use include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, Zantac (More Info/Dose @, or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with her vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention.

Once that has had time to absorb and she is steadier on her stomach, you can consider starting her on a light/easily digestible diet. Start with a small volume (a spoonful). Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). Or if she cannot be tempted we would need to think about syringe feeding using high calorie foods (ie Hills A/D, Royal Canin recovery, puppy food). That way we can stop her fast and try to give her body to fight this.

Overall, she cannot be allowed to starve herself here. The above should be started for Alexis alongside the antibiotics. Otherwise, if that is not an option, then we'd need to think about letting her go to end her suffering.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?